Wednesday 4 March 2009

Arshavin - Premier League harder than it looked

Arsenal midfielder Andrei Arshavin has admitted that the Premier League is far harder than it looked on television and that he has been surprised by the physicality of the English game.

GettyImages

The Russian is struggling to adapt.

"I watched the matches that were broadcast in Russia whenever possible," the 27-year-old told the Arsenal website.

"But to tell the truth it seemed less difficult on TV. Only now do I understand how dynamic and hard the football is here.

The Russian joined the Gunners in the January transfer window for a fee of around £15m, but has not played regular competitive football since the conclusion of the Russian league season at the end of November.

He has made two starts for Arsene Wenger's side, including a full 90 minutes against Fulham at the weekend, but claims he needs to improve his fitness before he can improve his form.

"Even before the end of the first half I felt as if I had spat my lungs out," said Arshavin. "It was a hard match for me. In the second half my legs simply refused to serve me.

"I am not physically strong enough yet to play the whole of the match. But I think with each coming game I play it will be easier in this sense.

"I would like to score as soon as possible. Everybody expected me to score in my very first match but that never happens, especially with me. But nothing was easy and immediate for me.

"Arsenal is no exception. So I need patience and hard work now. The main task now is to get into the Champions League for next season."

Arshavin has shown glimpses of his talent since his arrival, but has been short of the sparkling form that saw him light up Euro 2008 with Russia; and the midfielder admits he is not yet fully in tune with his new team-mates.

"We do not fully understand each other yet," he added. "I need to get used to the new kind of football and to my new team-mates before I begin playing my usual way."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, meanwhile, has declared that he is not concerned with his player's subdued performances as he believes he will have a big impact on the side in the coming games.

The Frenchman said: "You can see his match fitness is not completely there yet. I believe physically it will take him another 10 days.

"I'm convinced he will soon have a tremendous influence on our game because he has a quick brain and is many steps ahead of the game.

"Even on Saturday he set up two great chances for Robin van Persie. They were two great passes and he had two great opportunities too. When you can have that kind of impact on a game, it is very positive."

No comments: